-->

April 4, 2008

AP Player of the Year Announced . . . What a Joke!

First off, I have no problem with Tyler Hansbrough being named player of the year by the AP. He's the best player on one of the top 4 teams in the country. He consistently brings his best night in and night out. He scores, rebounds, defends, and hustles. I don't care who the best NBA prospect is, I care about who is the best college basketball player this season. With that as the primary criteria, I don't see how anyone can have too much of issue with Hansbrough's selection.

Ok, now on to my gripe. Only 3 players received votes for the award . . . that's right, only THREE! Psycho T received 56, Michael Beasley brought in 15 votes, and Memphis' Chris Douglas-Roberts got one vote.

The lopsided favoritism showed towards Hansbrough and Beasley is just another example of how little credibility the AP has when it comes to handing out awards and top 25 polling.

CDR with 1 vote? No votes for Kevin Love? No votes for Stephen Curry? No votes for Brook Lopez or DJ Augustin? Call me a cynic, but something tells me these voters got a little caught up in the hype.

No comments: