-->

April 24, 2008

NFL Draft 2008: What's the Big Deal?

Call me crazy, but I don't get too excited over the NFL draft. Before you question my fanhood, hear me out.

First, the NFL Draft is excruciatingly long, 2 days (7 rounds) long to be exact. Even the most die hard draft fanatics don't watch all 7 rounds, do they?

Second, I just can't convince myself to care what the other 31 teams (besides Indy) are doing with their draft selections. Sure, if a big name college star (D-Mac) goes somewhere, I'm interested. But, truth be known, I don't know every college lineman (aside from the 3 or 4 college teams I follow very closely, I actually know very few), and therefore don't give two hoots where they go in the NFL.

And, third, the Colts have the 59th pick. I absolutely refuse to sit through the previous 58 selections, just to see who Indy picks up in the 2nd round. I have no doubts that the Colts will make a solid choice (and I have no problem reading about that choice after day 1 of the Draft has concluded). The Colts have a knack for picking up solid late round picks, and Bill Polian most certainly has a solid track record, when it comes to the draft.

Possible 2nd round selections for Indianapolis include Early Doucet (WR, LSU) and Ray Rice (RB, Rutgers). The Colts need depth at both the WR and RB positions. Marvin Harrison isn't getting any younger, and last year's injury riddled season doesn't exactly instill confidence in his longevity.

Early Doucet would give the Colts another deep threat, as well as a solid run blocking wideout (which is key in the Colts stretch running game). Should Ray Rice still be available, he would be a huge addition to the Colts backfield. While Joseph Addai will still get the majority of the workload, Rice provides speed and big play ability that Joseph Addai lacks. I'd be thrilled with either guy at #59.

No comments: